Living the Pledge to End Racism Workshop
Saturday, October 13thand Saturday, October 27th, 2018 8:45 AM – 4:00 PM each day.
The goals of this workshop are to develop confidence in our ability as members of this congregation to:
- Integrate the Pledge to End Racism into our lives;
- Confront racism and bias in our everyday encounters;
- Recognize and challenge systemic racism;
- Take personal leadership in ending racism in our community.
The Living the Pledge workshop runs for two full days. The topics include:
- Foundations for Understanding
- Pledging to Recognize and Confront Bias
- Speak Up Against Microaggressions
- Structural and Institutional Racism
- The Movement for Black Lives
- Personal Commitment to Ending Racism
Doing the work of anti-racism, developing intercultural competence, and building multicultural communities require resolve and dedication. Participants are asked to commit to being present for both Day 1 and Day 2 sessions and to doing the assigned reading, etc., before, between, and after sessions.
Each workshop participant will have opportunities to:
- explore their own experience with people of other races,
- examine the problems of microaggressions,
- learn how to speak up when they witness racist acts,
- understand their own implicit biases, and more,
- develop an individualized action plan to help them work toward ending racism.
We’re convinced that after you go through the workshop, you will become important allies in spreading the word that this is worthwhile and will help further our goal as we work towards training the majority of UUFR members and friends and, eventually, of becoming a more truly anti-racist congregation.
For more information you may contact:
Lee Tate at [email protected] or
Jerri Meisner at [email protected]