Over the next few weeks, the Anti-Gun Violence Ministry Team will have a table during Sunday morning coffee hour where you can write a letter to your State representatives, and your Representative and/or Senator in Washington DC. We will make every effort to deliver them on UU Advocacy Day. The letters will be hand delivered by members of Unitarian Universalists for Social Justice, http://uusj.net/wp1/, when they visit Congress on May 14.
To see the legislation introduced and its status, go to www.congress.gov.
- Assault Weapons Ban – Senate 66 — Like the 1994 Act, specific types of “assault weapons are banned from manufacture. It also list over 60 specific models of fire arms.
- Extreme Risk Protection Order – S506 and HR1236 were introduced February 14th This is also called a “Red Flag” law
To see what proposed bills have recently been introduced in the North Carolina Legislature, go to www.ncleg.gov. The proposed NC Legislation regarding firearms is:
- H-61 — Allows for Concealed Carry with no permit nor safety training.
- H 216 School Self Defense Act — Allows for arming of teachers with a 5% pay raise and pays for training.
- S 192 School Security Act Similar to H216
- S565 Extreme Risk Protection Order allows for temporary confiscation of firearms when the owner is considered a danger to self, family or community.