How to Help
During the corona virus pandemic, there are many ways that each of us can help our most vulnerable neighbors.
Help Financially: Many non-profit organizations need our assistance more than ever.
- The Inter-Faith Food Shuttle, one of UUFR’s long-time community partners, is continuing to serve individuals and families facing food insecurity. Click here to donate.
- Urban Ministries, another long-time UUFR community partner, can no longer accept food donations, but financial donations can help them buy food to distribute. Visit urbanmin.org to make an online donation or make out a check to Urban Ministries (with “Food — UUFR” in the memo line), and send it to U.M. 1390 Capitol Blvd, Raleigh 27603
- The U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants, which has a North Carolina Field Office, is providing cash assistance to refugee and immigrant families who have lost wages or employment because of the corona virus outbreak. Click here to make a donation today.
- Bring lunch to the UUFR parking lot for Love Wins on Wednesday morning, April 22. Click here for details.
- Tutor children from immigrant and refugee families by phone or other means. Contact Amy Waters at [email protected] or 919-710-9196.
- Volunteers ages 15 years and older are needed at Wake County Government emergency feeding sites. Click here for more information.
- Meals on Wheels Wake is looking for drivers to take meals to homebound seniors Monday-Friday, 10:30am-1:00pm. Click here to complete the volunteer form.
Take a Stand:
- Call on Governor Cooper and the North Carolina General Assembly to use the $1.2 billion in Rainy Day Funds and $2 billion in unappropriated funds to respond to COVID-19 by expanding Medicaid, shoring up our health care system, assisting displaced workers, reassessing our priorities as a state, and putting the needs of our communities before the profits of billionaire CEOs and corporations.
- Sign the Move On/Poor Peoples Campaign petition to President Trump and Congress supporting federal action to ensure sick leave to all employees, provide free COVID-19 testing and treatment for all, provide economic support for displaced workers, enact a national moratorium on evictions and foreclosures, and enact other measures to assist those impacted by the current crisis.
- Call on ICE to release all immigrants from detention.